“The traditional flavors of green beans, mushrooms and onions without the calories of traditional green-bean casseroles! This dish is light, festive and easy to put together. It's become a holiday tradition at our house.” Vikki Peck - Poland, Ohio
Recommended: 17 Ways to Love Green Beans
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 4-7 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the pepper, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Drain beans; stir into vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pretty Almond Green Beans in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009, p51