Presto Stew & Garlic Mashed Potatoes
To lighten up this recipe, I use ground turkey breast and fat-free gravy. This hearty stew is also good served over your favorite pasta, biscuits or leftover mashed potatoes. Mary Tallman - Arbor Vitae, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 jar (12 ounces) fat-free beef gravy
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, gravy, vegetables, marjoram and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the water, milk, butter, garlic powder and pepper just to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in potato flakes and parsley. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Serve with stew.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 368 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 751mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Ground Beef Stew Over Garlic Mashed Potatoes in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008