My sister shared this chili recipe with me. The jalapeno adds just enough heat to notice but not too much for my children. —Kristine Bowles, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Featured In: 27 Recipes You Can Make In Your Instant Pot
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: sliced avocado, quartered cherry tomatoes and chopped fresh cilantro
- Toss chicken with salt and pepper. In a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker, select saute setting, and adjust for high heat; add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken; brown on all sides. Remove chicken.
- Reduce setting to normal. Add remaining oil to pressure cooker. Saute onion until tender. Add jalapeno, garlic, oregano and cumin; cook and stir 2 minutes. Return chicken to pressure cooker.
- In a bowl, mash 1 cup beans; stir in 1/2 cup broth. Stir bean mixture and remaining whole beans and broth into chicken mixture.
- Lock lid; make sure vent is closed. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 10 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer's directions. Stir before serving. Sprinkle with cheese; add toppings if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pressure Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili in One Pot Instant Pot Winter 2017