Pressure Cooker Truly Tasty Turnip Greens
These savory greens are a hit at every church dinner. Adjust the seasonings as you please to make the recipe your own. .—Amy Inman, Hiddenite, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min. + releasing
- 2 pounds peeled turnips, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 12 ounces fresh turnip greens
- 8 ounces fully cooked country ham or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- In a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker, combine all ingredients. Lock lid; make sure vent is closed. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 5 minutes. When finished cooking, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick-release any remaining pressure according to manufacturer's directions.
- If using ham hocks, remove meat from bones when cool enough to handle; cut ham into small pieces and return to pressure cooker. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 63 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 903mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Truly Tasty Turnip Greens in Cook It Fast, Cook It Slow
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.