Pressure-Cooker Southwestern Breakfast Casserole
I created this recipe for a breakfast-for-dinner meal one day, and it’s also become a favorite on chilly mornings. Such a wonderful aroma! Extra-sharp cheddar cheese allows you to use less while boosting the flavor. —Lisa Renshaw, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 20 min. + releasing
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chiles
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, lightly toasted and cubed
- Pico de gallo, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first 7 ingredients. Stir in beans, corn, ham, cheese and chiles. Stir in bread to moisten.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Place trivet insert and 1 cup water in pressure cooker. Cover baking dish with foil. Fold an 18x12-in. piece of foil lengthwise into thirds, making a sling. Use the sling to lower the dish onto the trivet.
- Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 20 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes; quick-release any remaining pressure. Using foil sling, carefully remove baking dish. Uncover and let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with pico de gallo.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 257 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 661mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Southwestern Breakfast Slow-Cooker Casserole in Skinny Instant Pot