Pressure-Cooker Rosemary Beets
We’re a family of beet eaters. For a simple side, I use a one-dish cooker and let the beets mellow with rosemary and thyme. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Cook: 20 min. + releasing
- 5 large fresh beets (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium orange, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place trivet insert and 1 cup water in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Scrub beets, trimming tops to 1 in.; set on trivet. Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 20 minutes. Let pressure release naturally. Press cancel.
- Remove beets and cool completely. Remove trivet; discard cooking juices. Wipe pot clean. Peel and cut beets into wedges; keep warm.
- Select saute setting; adjust for medium heat. Add oil. When oil is hot, cook and stir onion until crisp-tender, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in orange, honey, vinegar, rosemary, thyme, salt, Chinese five-spice, pepper and reserved beets; heat through. Press cancel. Serve warm, or refrigerate and serve cold. Serve with a slotted spoon; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 200 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Rosemary Spiced Beets in Skinny Instant Pot
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.