Pressure-Cooker Healthy Steamed Dumplings
My family loves Chinese food, but it’s hard to find healthy choices in restaurants or at the grocery store, so I make my own. The recipe makes a lot; I freeze big batches so we can enjoy these dumplings later. —Melody Crain, Houston, Texas
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Chinese or napa cabbage
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 30 pot sticker or gyoza wrappers
- 9 Chinese or napa cabbage leaves
- Sweet chili sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Place 1 tablespoon filling in center of each pot sticker wrapper. (Cover remaining wrappers with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Moisten wrapper edge with water. Fold wrapper over filling; seal edges, pleating the front side several times to form a pleated pouch. Stand dumplings on a work surface to flatten bottoms; curve slightly to form crescent shapes, if desired.
- Place trivet insert and 1 cup water in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Line trivet with 3 cabbage leaves. Arrange 10 dumplings over cabbage (do not stack). Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 7 minutes. Quick-release pressure. A thermometer inserted in dumpling should read at least 165°.
- Transfer dumplings to a serving plate; keep warm. Discard cabbage and cooking juices. Repeat with additional water, remaining cabbage and dumplings. If desired, serve with chili sauce.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze cooled dumplings on parchment-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to a large freezer container. To use, microwave dumplings, covered, for 30-45 seconds or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 dumpling: 37 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Healthy Steamed Dumplings in Skinny Instant Pot