Pressure-Cooker Healthy Steamed Dumplings
My family loves Chinese food, but it’s hard to find healthy choices in restaurants or at the grocery store, so I make my own. The recipe makes a lot; I freeze big batches so we can enjoy these dumplings later. —Melody Crain, Houston, Texas
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Chinese or napa cabbage
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 30 pot sticker or gyoza wrappers
- 9 Chinese or napa cabbage leaves
- Sweet chili sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first 12 ingredients. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Place 1 tablespoon filling in center of each pot sticker wrapper. (Cover remaining wrappers with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Moisten wrapper edge with water. Fold wrapper over filling; seal edges, pleating the front side several times to form a pleated pouch. Stand dumplings on a work surface to flatten bottoms; curve slightly to form crescent shapes, if desired.
- Place trivet insert and 1 cup water in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Line trivet with 3 cabbage leaves. Arrange 10 dumplings over cabbage (do not stack). Lock lid; close pressure-release valve. Adjust to pressure-cook on high for 7 minutes. Quick-release pressure. A thermometer inserted in dumpling should read at least 165°.
- Transfer dumplings to a serving plate; keep warm. Discard cabbage and cooking juices. Repeat with additional water, remaining cabbage and dumplings. If desired, serve with chili sauce.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze cooled dumplings on parchment-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to a large freezer container. To use, microwave dumplings, covered, for 30-45 seconds or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 dumpling: 37 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.