Pressure-Cooker BBQ Chicken & Smoked Sausage
My party-ready barbecue recipe works great on weeknights, too. With just a few minutes of prep time, you still get that low-and-slow flavor everybody craves (thanks, pressure cooker!). Throw in minced jalapenos for extra oomph. —Kimberly Young, Mesquite, Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + releasing
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 package (12 ounces) smoked sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Sliced seeded jalapeno pepper, optional
- Place first six ingredients in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker; top with barbecue sauce. Lock lid; make sure vent is closed. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 12 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer's directions (a thermometer inserted in chicken should read at least 170°). Remove chicken, sausage and vegetables from cooker; keep warm.
- Select saute setting and adjust for high heat; bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until thickened, 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve chicken, sausage and vegetables with sauce. If desired, top with jalapeno.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 338 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 1009mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as BBQ Chicken and Sausage in Cook It Fast, Cook It Slow
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.