Praline Sweet Potato Bread
I like to give these pretty loaves as gifts. Save time during the busy holiday season by baking a big batch and freezing them.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Grease and flour two 9x5-in. loaf pans. Line bottoms of pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, sweet potatoes, oil, water and extract. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened; fold in pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Carefully peel off waxed paper.
- For topping, in a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and vanilla. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in pecans. Pour over loaves. Cool completely before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 286 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Praline Sweet Potato Bread in Country Woman Christmas 2012