Necessity can be the mother of recipes, too! I came up with this one as a way of using up the extra evaporated milk I had from making fudge. My husband farms with his father—raising hogs and cattle plus growing corn and soybeans. Hobbies I enjoy include gardening, baking bread, reading...and sewing when I find time. Our 5-year-old is our only child right now, but I'm expecting her little brother or sister to come along about any day!
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 16 large marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Dash salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ice cream
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add brown sugar, marshmallows, corn syrup and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted and mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk, pecans and vanilla; mix well. Serve warm or cold over ice cream. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Praline Sundae Topping in Country Woman November/December 1993, p31