- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 4 large eggs
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional chopped pecans, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and cream. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour into two well-greased 9-in. round baking pans. Sprinkle with pecans; cool.
- For cake, in a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and oil. Add pumpkin and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, pie spice, baking soda and salt; gradually add to pumpkin mixture just until blended.
- Carefully spoon batter over brown sugar mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Place one cake layer, praline side up, on a serving plate. Spread two-thirds of the whipped cream mixture over cake. Top with second cake layer and remaining whipped cream. Sprinkle with additional pecans if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews forPraline Pumpkin Torte
"This is an excellent recipe. It takes some time and attention to put together, but the end result is worth it. This cake tastes wonderful and is such a fantastic fall recipe. Yum!"
"I took this to a meeting last night and it was an instant hit! This decadent torte is absolutely delicious. Be sure to line your pans with parchment paper and the cakes will fall out easily. Another tip is to get all ingredients out and measured before beginning and it will go quickly. I highly recommend this delicious recipe.Volunteer Field Editor"
"Made this last week. Think it might have tasted better if I had added vanilla instead of Worcestershire sauce. I no longer keep them in the same cabinet ??"
"To the reviewers that had issues with the topping sticking in the pans. I ALWAYS use parchment paper when I bake any layer cakes. Especially these types. End of problem."
"This recipe has a lot of ingredients but was actually quick to whip up, you will not be disappointed. This recipe caught my eye because of the presentation and the great reviews, so glad I made it, praline gives just enough sweetness and the whipped topping was light and tasty. I made it for my coworker birthday and she loved it as the rest of the team did too. I will be making it again for Christmas."
"Love, love this torte. But every time I make it he praline topping sticks to the pan. Does anyone have a suggestion? Would it work to put a parchment circle in the pan first?"
"Always get asked for the recipie its a tried and true winner."