Praline Pull-Apart Coffee Cake
I developed this recipe for our church youth fund-raiser. We sold the cakes frozen and ready-to-bake.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 coffee cakes (15 servings each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/4 cup warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the butter, eggs, milk powder, salt, yeast mixture, remaining sugar and water and 2-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle pecans into two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, vanilla and salt; sprinkle over pecans. Drizzle with butter.
- Divide dough in half; shape each portion into 15 balls. Place over topping. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute; invert onto a serving platter.
Editor's Note: Coffee cakes may be frozen before baking and thawed for 4 hours in the refrigerator. Place in a cold oven; set oven to 375°. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until browned.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 206 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Praline Pull-Apart Coffee Cake in 1998 Taste of Home Annual Recipes
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.