Praline French Toast
There's quite a crowd when our family gathers for Christmas, and I'm always asked to fix this French toast. The praline syrup is a nice change of pace from traditional maple.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 9 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or nutmeg
- 24 to 30 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- PRALINE SYRUP:
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Arrange bread in a single layer in two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for syrup, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Stir in pecans and butter; simmer 2 minutes longer. Serve with French toast.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 448 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 194mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Praline French Toast in Country Woman Christmas 2002