Praline French Toast
There's quite a crowd when our family gathers for Christmas, and I'm always asked to fix this French toast. The praline syrup is a nice change of pace from traditional maple.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 9 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or nutmeg
- 24 to 30 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- PRALINE SYRUP:
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Arrange bread in a single layer in two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Pour egg mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for syrup, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Stir in pecans and butter; simmer 2 minutes longer. Serve with French toast.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 448 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 194mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Praline French Toast in Country Woman Christmas 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.