Praline Crunch Ice Cream Recipe
If you're a caramel lover, you'll want to try Julia Register's recipe for homemade ice cream topped with pralines and a rich caramel sauce. The Huntersville, North Carolina cook reports that she has used this recipe for ice cream socials at her church. "The homemade caramel sauce goes over well."
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CANDIED PECANS:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- 2. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 3. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with any remaining ice cream mixture.
- 4. In a heavy skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add pecans; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until coated. Spread pecans onto a greased foil-lined baking sheet. Cool completely.
- 5. For sauce, combine butter, water and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until butter is melted. Add sugar; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat without stirring. Boil 4 minutes. Stir 6-8 minutes or until mixture is caramel-colored. Remove from heat. Carefully stir in cream until smooth. Serve caramel sauce and candied pecans over ice cream. Yield: about 1-1/2 quarts ice cream (1-1/2 cups sauce).
1 cup: 1222 calories, 87g fat (50g saturated fat), 330mg cholesterol, 437mg sodium, 109g carbohydrate (104g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Praline Crunch Ice Cream
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC