Praline Brownie Pie
I have a passion for creating my own recipes. I developed this pie from a favorite brownie. I’ve lost track of how many recipe requests this dessert has generated. —Michele Mazey, Centerville, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 70 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- PRALINE TOPPING:
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- CARAMEL LAYER:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar; beat in egg. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for topping, combine the pecans, butter, sugars and salt. Spread in a single layer in a lightly greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Cool.
- For caramel layer, combine the butter and sugars in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the cream; return to a boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- For filling, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips, unsweetened chocolate and butter; stir until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cool slightly. Beat in the sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Stir in the flour and salt just until blended; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to fit an 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Transfer pastry to pan; trim even with top edge. Spread filling into crust. Top with caramel mixture; cut through with a knife to swirl. Sprinkle with topping and remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 330 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Praline Brownie Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.