Praline Apple Pie
I've won a couple of first-place prizes at our county fair with this pie! See if it becomes a prize-winner at your house, too.--Bev Higley, Londonderry, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 7 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apple (about 8 medium)
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- PRALINE TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Line pie plate with bottom crust; brush well with apple cider. Add apple mixture; pour any remaining cider over all. Drizzle with butter. Top with second crust; flute edges to seal. Cut slits in top. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes.
- For topping, melt butter in a small saucepan. Add the brown sugar, cider and cream. Bring to a full rolling boil over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and stir in pecans.
- Remove pie from oven (leave oven on) and place on a baking sheet. Slowly pour topping over pie. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until topping bubbles. Cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 550 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Apple Praline Pie in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.