Prairie Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
Makes2 loaves (6-8 servings each)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- In a large bowl, beat eggs; stir in ketchup, mustard, oats, salt, garlic powder, thyme and basil. In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add to oat mixture. Stir in the onion, celery and 2 cups of cheese. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Press into two ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 375° for 1-1/4 hours until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°; drain. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; let stand until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 316 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 680mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Sep 17, 2013
This recipe is great everybody loves it. I used crushed crackers instead of old-fashioned oats and left out the shredded cheese.
Aug 9, 2012
I have made this several times and it has never been less than good. I like the extra fiber the oatmeal gives it.
Oct 5, 2009
I've made this several times a year - ever since it first published in 1998. I usually freeze the 2nd loaf, but also use it when making a "crisis" meal for someone else. We all like it, and the folks I've shared it with have all enjoyed it, too