Prairie Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
Makes2 loaves (6-8 servings each)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- In a large bowl, beat eggs; stir in ketchup, mustard, oats, salt, garlic powder, thyme and basil. In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add to oat mixture. Stir in the onion, celery and 2 cups of cheese. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Press into two ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 375° for 1-1/4 hours until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°; drain. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; let stand until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 316 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 680mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 17, 2013
This recipe is great everybody loves it. I used crushed crackers instead of old-fashioned oats and left out the shredded cheese.
Aug 9, 2012
I have made this several times and it has never been less than good. I like the extra fiber the oatmeal gives it.
Oct 5, 2009
I've made this several times a year - ever since it first published in 1998. I usually freeze the 2nd loaf, but also use it when making a "crisis" meal for someone else. We all like it, and the folks I've shared it with have all enjoyed it, too