Prairie Bean Soup
This soup started out as an "end-of-the-month" meal, a creative way to use up items that were on hand. We liked it so well that I now prepare it even when the pantry is full. My twin daughters an I all enjoy cooking...and my husband reaps the benefits!—Katherine VanDeraa, South Bend, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 2 hours 25 min.
Makes12-16 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 4 cups dried pinto beans, cooked and drained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained
- 2 cans (15-3/4 ounces each) pork and beans
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef, pork sausage and onions over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink and the onions are tender; drain well. Add the next seven ingredients. Stir in the beans, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 486 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 1258mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 20g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Prairie Bean Soup in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.