Pound Cake with Cherry Chocolate Topping
Chocolate and cherries are a classic combination. Here they come together in a succulent sauce that's draped over generous slices of moist pound cake.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries, undrained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 6 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine cherries and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to cherries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and red food coloring if desired. Cut cake into 12 slices. For each serving, place 2 slices on an individual plate. Top with 1 tablespoon chocolate sauce and about 1/4 cup cherry sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 462 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (60g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Pound Cake with Cherry Chocolate Topping in 2003 Taste of Home Calendar