This is my favorite dish to pass at potlucks. The down-home ingrdients make it a guaranteed crown=pleaser. The recipe is often requested, and I never hesitate to share it.—.Dorothy Friez, McLaughlin, South Dakota
Recommended: 25 Easy Summer Side Dishes For The Slow Cooker
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow or ring macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken with rice soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Seasoned salt to taste
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pork, beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in macaroni, corn, soups and seasonings.
Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Freeze option: Transfer meat mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, reserving buttered bread crumbs for topping when baking. Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare bread crumbs as directed; sprinkle over top. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Potluck Hot Dish in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p250