Potluck Hot Dish
This is my favorite dish to pass at potlucks. The down-home ingrdients make it a guaranteed crown=pleaser. The recipe is often requested, and I never hesitate to share it.—.Dorothy Friez, McLaughlin, South Dakota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow or ring macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed chicken with rice soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Seasoned salt to taste
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pork, beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in macaroni, corn, soups and seasonings.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Freeze option: Transfer meat mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, reserving buttered bread crumbs for topping when baking. Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare bread crumbs as directed; sprinkle over top. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
After preparing a double batch of Potluck Hot Dish on the stove, transfer half to a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish and sprinkle with buttered bread crumbs. Bake as directed. Freeze the reamining portiion in an airtight container. When ready to use, thaw, transfer to a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish, sprinkle with buttered bread crumbs and bake as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 301 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 781mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Potluck Hot Dish in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book