- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Fold in apples and nuts. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth. Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forPotluck German Apple Cake
"I have made this before an it is delicious! For some reason now when I bake it feels like it is grainy with sugar and gets really moist on bottom. I can't figure out what is different! Any thoughts ?"
"I made this as written other than I added a handful of dried cranberries, and kept the chunks of apple pretty big. It was delicious with a meal of sauerbraten, red cabbage and potato dumplings, and it stayed moist and didn't get stale. My husband ate the last piece 6 days after baking and it was still good.Rhonda, there is a printable version, just click the "print" icon above the recipe directions, below the title and description."
"I made this! Wow! I used 1/2 jar of Carmel topping. It was gone in a day. Wonderful for a dessert, when need one fast."
"Why can’t there be a printable version"
"cake is moist and delicious. My husband ate most of it. I took a couple slices over to my daughter in law with the recipe and she is going to make it for Thanksgiving dessert. Here is my 2cents re: Anna's negative remarks..."If you cannot say something constructive, then let's keep our mouth shut. No one cares about Dr. Anna and her made up philosophy regarding sugar, the human body and your ego" Set It Free Anna, Set It Free""
"Really, really good. I had red delicious apples at home and decided to use them knowing they would be sweeter. So I cut back on the sugar. Also used only a cup of the oil. I love nutmeg so added a good amount. I had read a review that said cook for about 35 minutes. I checked cake at 35 minutes and it was done. Only other thing is I added a little lemon juice to the frosting to cut through the sweetness. Really tasty cake. Especially with a cup of coffee. Thanks for the recipe."
"This is a great recipe , i only used 3/4 cup of oil , added half a cup of raisins and also half a teaspoon of nutmeg. Turned out fantastic"
"Sounds great as written......off to the store to buy apples. Note to Anna....you do know that brown sugar is just white sugar with molasses."