Potluck Fruit Cocktail Cake
This is a moist yummy dessert with bits of fruit inside and a crunchy brown sugar-walnut mixture on top. It's perfect for potlucks.—James Patterson, Spokane, Washington
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes4 cakes (16 servings each)
- 5 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) fruit cocktail
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Drain fruit cocktail, reserving the syrup; set aside. In a several large bowls, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add syrup to dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in fruit cocktail. Pour into four greased 13x9-in. baking dishes.
- Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 179 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 216mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Fruit Cocktail Cake in Taste of Home August/September 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.