VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 5 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) fruit cocktail
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Drain fruit cocktail, reserving the syrup. Add syrup to dry ingredients; mix well. Fold in fruit cocktail. Pour into four greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes.
- Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 cakes (16 servings each).
Originally published as Fruit Cocktail Cake in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p41