Potluck Eggs Benedict
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 pound cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 hard-boiled large eggs, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 to 12 biscuits, warmed
- Cut asparagus into 1/2-in. pieces, using only tender parts of spears. Cook in a small amount of boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes; drain. Set aside to cool.
- Melt butter in a saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Add milk and broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add ham and cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Add eggs, salt, cayenne and asparagus; heat through. Serve over biscuits.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 485 calories, 32g fat (15g saturated fat), 214mg cholesterol, 1444mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 13, 2016
My family really enjoyed this recipe! I was looking for something I could make to use up several hard boiled eggs I had on hand before we left for a week's vacation. This was a perfect fit. I didn't have any asparagus on hand, so I substituted broccoli instead. I don't think my substitution was anything sub-par to the asparagus.
Mar 29, 2016
Have made this for years, a family favorite, but we call it Creamed Ham and Eggs on Biscuits.....sometimes with and sometime without asparagus. It's great both ways, but I agree, not Eggs Benedict!!
Mar 27, 2016
Made this for a ladies breakfast at church. Very good. Everyone loved it. I doubled the recipe to serve 24 ladies and there was some left over. I brought it home and froze it. My husband and I had the leftover Benedict thawed and rewarmed a few weeks later and it still tasted good over some fresh tea biscuits. I wasn't sure how it would be with the milk etc. but the freezing did not hurt it. Will make it again.
Oct 1, 2014
This was one of my kids' favorite meals, and they still request it when they come home for visits.
Jan 9, 2012
This was a big hit at Christmas brunch. I put it in the slow cooker to serve. Worked beautifully.