To make it easier to bring this traditional Southern staple to a potluck or gathering, I updated it so that it can be cooked in a slow cooker. It's hard to go wrong with candied sweet potatoes when it comes to pleasing a crowd. —Deirdre Dee Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
Featured In: 23 Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes for the Slow Cooker
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small bowl, combine sugars. In a greased 5-qt. slow cooker, layer a third of the sweet potatoes; sprinkle with a third of the sugar mixture. Repeat layers twice. In a small bowl, combine the butter, vanilla and salt; drizzle over potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to a serving dish; keep warm. Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pan. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Potluck Candied Sweet Potatoes in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2013, p76
Reviews forPotluck Candied Sweet Potatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2015
"These are so easy and absolutely delicious! I thought I might miss the crumb topping I usually use but I did not miss it at all these are great!!"