- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small bowl, combine sugars. In a greased 5-qt. slow cooker, layer a third of the sweet potatoes; sprinkle with a third of the sugar mixture. Repeat layers twice. In a small bowl, combine the butter, vanilla and salt; drizzle over potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to a serving dish; keep warm. Pour cooking juices into a small saucepan; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pan. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over sweet potatoes.
- Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews forPotluck Candied Sweet Potatoes
"Had this recipe for 40-years. It gets requested on each holiday. This recipe is not new. It's very old. My great grandmother passed it down decades ago (1930). We like to add cinnamon and nutmeg. Gives it a kick. Also add miniature marshmallows on top the last 5 minutes of baking.Can used canned yams in place of sweet potatoes."
"These are so easy and absolutely delicious! I thought I might miss the crumb topping I usually use but I did not miss it at all these are great!!"