- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- COFFEE FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas and sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Dissolve coffee granules in milk; add to butter mixture and beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forPotluck Banana Cake
"Mine fell too. I read that it could be due to a lack of moisture. I used , as always, a fresh box of baking soda so that was not the reason. While I was making it I kept saying it neeeded baking powder. That could be the reason too but I’m inclined to say it was lack of moisture. I won’t make this again. I’m really surprised because the recipes from taste of Home are usually great."
"Made this last week for my boyfriend's birthday (he loves banana) and he loved this cake! His had a piece and loved it too! I followed the recipe no changes :)"
"TOTAL FLOP. Came out weighing as much as a heavy pound cake. Read reviews first- followed special comments left to help those who failed with this cake. I wanted this to be perfect as we love banana anything. I made this a few months back and it was a lot of work for a cake that went in the trash! Only thing I didn't do was to use cake flour and I didn't use totally black bananas - short of that - I did nothing to cause this flop. So disappointed and frustrated."
"I have made a similar cake for many years, but in a jelly roll pan. The frosting I make has peanut butter in it instead of the coffee. Everyone loves it!"
"Excellent! My husband who usually doesn't eat cake had 2 pieces tonite!"