- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- COFFEE FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with bananas and sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Dissolve coffee granules in milk; add to butter mixture and beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forPotluck Banana Cake
"I have made a similar cake for many years, but in a jelly roll pan. The frosting I make has peanut butter in it instead of the coffee. Everyone loves it!"
"Excellent! My husband who usually doesn't eat cake had 2 pieces tonite!"
"Just like Mom used to make! This was a family favorite back in the 1960s. I was delighted to find this recipe and try it out on my own family. It was a hit!"
"The only thing I'd change would be to use 2-3 tablespoons of fresh brewed strong coffee instead of instant. The coffee flavor is more than just a hint, so prepare for coffee lovers! I also think that a cream cheese frosting base with coffee flavor would be excellent . I want to try that next time I make this."