Potluck Apple Pie Bars
I use apple from our own apple trees to make this dessert. It's a big hit at potlucks as well as with my family.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shortening
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal
- 8 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 9 medium)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly.
- Combine egg yolks and milk; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with one rectangle; sprinkle with cereal.
- Arrange apples over cereal. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Top with remaining pastry; cut slits in top. Brush with egg whites.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack. In a bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over bars. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 338 calories, 17g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 29, 2011
A bit bland.
May 26, 2011
Sorry, did not care for these. Dense and too sweet.
Jan 4, 2011
Over 300 calories and 17 grams of fat PER BAR? Who cooks like this anymore? My family deserves better and so does yours!
Oct 5, 2010
These were amazing!