Potluck Almond Bars
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) plus 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, butter and salt. Pat into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; beat until smooth. Pour over crust. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3. For frosting, in a bowl, combine the sugar, butter, milk and extract; stir until smooth. Frost bars and sprinkle with almonds if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
1 each: 150 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 31, 1969
I have made this three times. I found that using an off brand cream cheese in the filling doesn't let it firm up as much as using Philly Cream Cheese.
Also, the toasted almonds on top add a great flavor, don't leave them off.
Dec 2, 2014
I am certain I did something wrong. Followed receipt to a tee. Had to add more confectionery sugar so the icing would be stiff enough to cut and look like photo. Kept in fridge. Sat out longer than I had intended before eating but the top layer completely turned to soup. :( Had great flavor. No matter how long I left it in fridge, it never set up again. It stayed soupy. Would like to make again to figure out what I did wrong. Flavor was wonderful.
Sep 5, 2011
Very good flavor, the frosting is sweet but the other two layers are not so it balances out really well. A pan never lasts long in our house!
Mar 15, 2011
This recipe sounds really good.
Our Board Moderator has had the butter amounts adjusted.
Mar 15, 2011
Wondering if the 1/2 cup butter listed with the frosting should be in the crust and the 1/3 cup in the frosting?
Mar 14, 2011
Haven't tried it yet as the amount of butter for the crust is not listed. Sounds wonderful otherwise.