Potluck Almond Bars
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) plus 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, butter and salt. Pat into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; beat until smooth. Pour over crust. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a bowl, combine the sugar, butter, milk and extract; stir until smooth. Frost bars and sprinkle with almonds if desired. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 150 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Oct 28, 2016
I have made this three times. I found that using an off brand cream cheese in the filling doesn't let it firm up as much as using Philly Cream Cheese.Also, the toasted almonds on top add a great flavor, don't leave them off.
Dec 2, 2014
I am certain I did something wrong. Followed receipt to a tee. Had to add more confectionery sugar so the icing would be stiff enough to cut and look like photo. Kept in fridge. Sat out longer than I had intended before eating but the top layer completely turned to soup. :( Had great flavor. No matter how long I left it in fridge, it never set up again. It stayed soupy. Would like to make again to figure out what I did wrong. Flavor was wonderful.
Sep 5, 2011
Very good flavor, the frosting is sweet but the other two layers are not so it balances out really well. A pan never lasts long in our house!
Mar 15, 2011
This recipe sounds really good.Our Board Moderator has had the butter amounts adjusted.Alliea
Mar 15, 2011
Wondering if the 1/2 cup butter listed with the frosting should be in the crust and the 1/3 cup in the frosting?
Mar 14, 2011
Haven't tried it yet as the amount of butter for the crust is not listed. Sounds wonderful otherwise.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.