Potatoes, Peas & Pearl Onions
A quick and easy but elegant side dish for all kinds of meat entrees, this delicious blend of potatoes, pearl onions and peas is a favorite with Priscilla Gilbert in Indian Harbour Beach, Florida.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated red potato wedges
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/3 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Place potatoes and water in a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute pearl onions in butter for 2 minutes. Add the cream, broth, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until onions are tender. Stir in the peas, green onions and reserved potatoes; heat through.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 227 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 514mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Creamed Potatoes, Peas and Pearl Onions in Simple & Delicious September/October 2008