My husband is a real meat-and-potatoes guy and could eat the same thing every day, but not me! So I've come up with different ways, including this recipe, to use those main ingredients.
Recommended: 33 Ways to Use Up Leftover Mashed Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Cool for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the egg, Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Stir in meat mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In another large bowl, combine the corn, peas, soup and milk. Spread over meat mixture. Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Potato-Topped Meat Pie in Country Extra March 2005, p51