Potato-Topped Chili Loaf
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup saltine crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 cups hot mashed potatoes (with milk and butter)
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1. Combine the first six ingredients; crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 160°; drain.
- 2. Combine the potatoes, corn, beans, onions and 1/2 cup of cheese; spread over meat loaf. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until the potato layer is lightly browned and heated through.
1 each: 547 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 1150mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 37g protein.
May 18, 2010
This was VERY good! I used bread crumbs instead of cracker crumbs, but made it as written otherwise! My family loved it!
Oct 18, 2009
Loved this - replaced the ground beef with turkey and was still great!
Dec 31, 1969
Very good! We made this the other night and it will be a new family favorite. I drained the grease from the meatloaf before putting on the topping.