Potato-Topped Chili Loaf
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup saltine crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 cups hot mashed potatoes (with milk and butter)
- 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend, divided
- Combine the first six ingredients; crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until a thermometer reaches 160°; drain.
- Combine the potatoes, corn, beans, onions and 1/2 cup of cheese; spread over meat loaf. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until the potato layer is lightly browned and heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 547 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 1150mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 37g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 18, 2010
This was VERY good! I used bread crumbs instead of cracker crumbs, but made it as written otherwise! My family loved it!
Oct 18, 2009
Loved this - replaced the ground beef with turkey and was still great!
Feb 20, 2009
Very good! We made this the other night and it will be a new family favorite. I drained the grease from the meatloaf before putting on the topping.