Even veggie-fearing kids will eat these up. Be sure not to bake the tomatoes much longer than 10 minutes or they might soften and fall apart.—Country Woman Test Kitchen, Greendale, WI
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Sprinkle salt on the insides of the tomatoes; invert onto paper towels and let drain for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the potatoes, parsley, 1 tablespoon cheese and onion. Spoon into tomatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place in a small baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Potato-Stuffed Tomatoes in Country Woman December/January 2010, p38