- 1 pound pork sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sliced green beans, partially cooked
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a heavy saucepan, brown sausage over medium heat. Remove sausage to paper towels to drain. Drain skillet, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute the celery, onion, thyme and salt in the reserved drippings until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add broth and water, stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add potatoes; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat; cool.
- In blender, cover and process 2 cups soup mixture until smooth; return to kettle. Add the milk, beans and sausage; heat through. Garnish with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forPotato Soup with Sausage
"This recipe came out so good. I need to put the leftovers in the refrigerat right now so I don't eat the whole pot. It is more of a stew but I couldn't be more pleased with the taste."
"Very easy to make."
"Loved by everyone, including a 7 mo old bUsed non"
"This is one of my family's favorites. Ham works fine too. Sometimes I use fresh rosemary instead of thyme. And yes it does turn out pretty thick."
"This soup was sooo good. I didn't have any green beans, so I used about a cup of frozen peas-and-carrots. I also had about a half-dozen frozen shrimp that I tossed in with the beans. Added a sprinkle of garlic and hot-pepper-sauce. Wow, excellent."
"Yummy-Yummy... but mine came out more like a stew (thick) than a soup. Not sure what I did wrong but still delicious. Thanks"
"I have been making this soup for years. It's perfect for a winter meal. My husband requests this all the time."
"This is pretty good soup. My husband and I both like it and I will make it again."
"What a great recipe! I did change it a bit, replacing the sausage with ham and then used butter instead of the sausage drippings to cook the celery and onions. I also thought a little black pepper gave it a bit of zip. I've printed out a second copy to send to my mom...good stuff."