- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups sliced peeled raw potatoes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Brown sausage; drain and set aside. Combine soup, milk, onion, salt and pepper. In a greased 2-qt. casserole, layer half of the potatoes, half of the soup mixture and half of the sausage. Repeat, ending with sausage. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; return to oven, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes or until the cheese melts. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forPotato Sausage Casserole
"I can't understand why anyone would say this is not good ... excellent blend of flavors. I do think it needs to cook a little longer. I sliced the potatoes very thin on a mandolin and they still needed more time. I probably added a little more cheese than called for but we thoroughly enjoyed it. Will definitely be making again."
"Lousy. Inedible. Cook potatoes first or cook for over two hours for leather tough swill. Not a keeper"
"Such high hopes for this wintery dish and made it exactly as described. Did not care for it at first (bland), so added a dollop of sour cream to my portion (like a chili topping) and that made all the difference. 4 stars with sour cream, 3 stars without."
"WOW. We made the recipe exactly as-is to see if we liked it, and we soooo did. We split it between three people and the boys were still disappointed that there wasn't more. We keep dried chopped onions since my son (he does most of the cooking) is sensitive to chopping onions, and it worked out perfectly. We used mild Italian sausage, Russett potatoes and medium cheddar. Not greasy at all ... make sure you're draining the sausage; I also remove ours from the pan onto a plate with paper towels to absorb the grease while mixing up the other ingredients (also lowers the fat content). You can try some of the variations in some of the other reviews if you want, but I think this is perfect just the way it is."
"Very tasty dish my husband and I really enjoyed! I took the lazy route and used two cans of sliced potatoes. (Cooked 45 minutes @ 375 degrees.) I didn't have Cream of Mushroom soup in the pantry, so used Cream of chicken soup instead. I added a can of mushrooms over the baked casserole before adding the cheese. Yummy! Very easy to make and this casserole will be made often! Thanks for sharing!"
"Very good! Made to recipe using a hot pork sausage. The sauce toned down the spiciness giving it a flavorful but tasty flavor. Can't comment on leftovers as there were none! Everyone commented on how good it was."
"My boys love it!"
"Very Good! easy to make!"
"This was a big hit for my family. I did not have onion so I used one half envelope of Lipton onion soup mix. It was really good"