These sweet, moist dinner rolls with their beautiful golden color are so special that I like to serve them when company comes.—Teri Albrecht, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter), room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, potatoes, butter, one egg, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into a smooth ball. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Lightly beat remaining egg; brush over rolls. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 195 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Potato Rolls in Quick Cooking May/June 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.