Potato Onion Soup
Around our house, soups are always a hearty standby for supper. In this recipe, ground beef and potatoes give a new twist to traditional onion soup.
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 7 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onions over medium heat in oil for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- In the same kettle, brown beef; drain. Add the water, potatoes, vinegar, bouillon, salt, pepper and reserved onions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in parsley. Ladle into ovenproof bowls. Top each with Swiss cheese, a slice of bread and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until cheeses are bubbly.