Potato Nests with Peas
I SERVE potatoes with just about every meal. Besides using this recipe as a side dish, I discovered I could serve it as a main dish for a lighter meal. It satisfies the appetite well, especially for us older folks. A dear friend shared this recipe with me several years ago. -Margery Bryan, Royal City, Washington
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 cup hot mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Dash dill weed
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) peas, drained
- In a bowl, combine potatoes and egg yolk; mix well. Stir in the cheese.
- Spoon two mounds onto a greased baking sheet. With the back of a spoon, shape each mound into a 4-in. nest. Sprinkle with dill; dot with butter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown. Fill nest with peas. Bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 288 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 738mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Potato Nests with Peas in Reminisce Extra February 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.