Potato Nests with Peas
I SERVE potatoes with just about every meal. Besides using this recipe as a side dish, I discovered I could serve it as a main dish for a lighter meal. It satisfies the appetite well, especially for us older folks. A dear friend shared this recipe with me several years ago. -Margery Bryan, Royal City, Washington
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 cup hot mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Dash dill weed
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) peas, drained
- In a bowl, combine potatoes and egg yolk; mix well. Stir in the cheese.
- Spoon 2 mounds onto a greased baking sheet. With the back of a spoon, shape each mound into a 4-in. nest. Sprinkle with dill; dot with butter. Bake at 350° until potatoes are golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Fill nest with peas. Bake until heated through, about 10 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 288 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 738mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Potato Nests with Peas in Reminisce Extra February 1999