- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat fully cooked Polish sausage or turkey kielbasa, sliced
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes slightly. Add the kale, beans and sausage; cook over medium-low heat until kale is tender. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forPotato Kale Sausage Soup
"easy to make, delicious and nutritious. This recipe is a "keeper.""
"Great soup! I had made once before and usually end up having to modify based on what I have on hand. Used large bag of baby kale and spinach so upped the broth and a little more on everything as like to have some to share. Very good to curb the brrrr in the air."
"My whole family, even the kids, were asking for more! They all ate kale and enjoyed it!"
"A great way to add Kale to your diet. Very vood."
"Tastes great! We have made this several times - we like Butterball turkey Sausage/Polska Kielbasa best. We use one sausage per batch. (P.S. Make sure kale is tender!)"
"Family loves this! I had to try this.Very simple recipe and so tasty.I will be making this again."
"This was a wonderful, hearty, surprisingly flavorful soup! It really hit the spot. I didn't have reduced sodium chicken broth, so I used regular. With the added salt in the recipe, it was a bit too salty, so I would leave out the added salt next time. But otherwise, it was delicious! It was simple to make and is a great way to sneak in a dark leafy vegetable for people who wouldn't normally want to eat them."
"Thank you so much for this delicious recipe! When I'd tried braising kale, I did not like it. I gave it a second chance in this recipe and I am really glad I did! This soup is nutritious and delicious. This recipe is definitely a keeper for making again!"
"This is a very easy recipe, tastes great and is nutritious... my husband says there's too much kale, ao you can cut back on it if you wish, but I like it w/the amount in the recipe."