Potato Dumpling Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes (without milk or seasoning)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Combine all dumpling ingredients; spoon into a large pastry bag, half at a time, fitted with large plain tube (opening should be about 1/2 in. diameter). Bring 5 qts. of salted water to a boil in a large stock pot, then adjust heat so water bubbles very gently.
- Squeeze out dumplings over simmering water, cutting with scissors at 1-in. intervals and letting drop into water. Simmer, uncovered, until dumplings float, then simmer 1 minute more. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain and keep warm in a 2-qt. baking dish.
- For the sauce, saute onion in butter until tender. Blend in flour. Add cream and broth all at once. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in 1/4 cup Swiss cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Pour over dumplings; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly and golden brown on top. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 201 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 604mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 23, 2010
As is, I would only give this one star because the dumplings turn out soft and kind of mushy. I'm used to the Norwegian dumplings my in-laws make which are super dense; more pasta-like than bread-like. So, I ended up adding 3-4 times the amount of flour called for (until dough wasn't very sticky but still held together) and rolled the dough into 2 inch balls. I followed the rest of the recipe completely and it was a SMASH HIT with the family. I have twin 14 month olds and a 21/2 year old and they devoured it! The sauce is AMAZING!
May 2, 2010
OMG is this ever a comfort food ! Dumplings of any sort are the "Mac & Cheese" for my family of German heritage. The dumplings were very tender & the sauce put it over the top for us. I wouldn't change a thing.
Apr 18, 2010
My family thought it was wonderful and is a keeper.
Oct 19, 2009
It was a very yummy casserole. Great comfort food. I think I will tweak the dumplings, maybe add a little something. But I will definitely make this again!