Potato Cucumber Soup
During the Depression we could buy a wheat sack full of fresh vegetables for 50¢. It was a "you-dig", "you-sack" arrangement. My mother took advantage of this annual food windfall and had a variety of recipes to accommodate it. One of our family favorites was this soup.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups cold water
- 6 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 1 large or 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- In a large saucepan, bring water, potatoes, salt and pepper to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook, uncovered, until potatoes are tender. Cool.
- Puree in a blender until smooth. Return to the saucepan. Stir in the cream, milk, onion and cucumber. Add additional milk if soup is too thick. Cook and stir over low heat for 5 minutes. Season with dill.