Potato Corn Chowder
I love a good chowder on a cold blustery day! This soup is especially good, and it's also fast and easy to prepare, thanks to the microwave oven.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 ounces thick-sliced bacon, diced
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 4 cups milk, room temperature, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups corn, fresh or canned
- 1/3 cup diced green pepper
- 1/3 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: In a 4-qt. microwave-safe bowl, cook bacon at full power until crisp, about 1-2 minutes. Add potatoes, onion and garlic; stir to coat with bacon drippings. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; microwave at full power 3 minutes. Add broth and red pepper; cover; return to microwave and cook until potatoes are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- In separate bowl, stir 2 tablespoons milk into cornstarch; add to potatoes with remaining milk, salt, corn and green peppers. Stir well. Cover and cook, stirring twice, until vegetables are just tender, about 3-5 minutes. Just before serving, stir in green onion and parsley.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 186 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 1110mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Potato Corn Chowder in Country Extra September 1990
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.