"When I have mashed potatoes for dinner, I always use the leftovers to throw together this moist chocolate cake the next day," writes J.P. DeGagne from Kaneohe, Hawaii. "The lightly colored treat freezes well, too, but don't frost it until serving."
Recommended: 25 Light Chocolate Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg yolks, potatoes, water and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture. In a small mixing bowl; beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter along with walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Frost with chocolate frosting. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Potato Chocolate Cake in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p21