- 2 pounds potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup beer or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Salad croutons and/or crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- Place the potatoes, onion and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; cool slightly (do not drain). In a blender, cover and process mixture in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan and heat through.
- Stir in the milk, beer, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon, salt, mustard and white pepper; heat through. Stir in cheese just until melted. Top with croutons and/or bacon if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forPotato Beer Cheese Soup
"This is a most enjoyable soup. I too added some celery to the potatoes. I saut?ed them in olive oil along with the onions. I used less beer and milk. The consistency is nice. Its not a thick, heavy soup. I also held back on 2 cups of the chopped potatoes. Then added them to the processed soup. Mine looked more like a chowder.Janie Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor."
"Very good soup for a cool autmn evening. Used all ingredients that the recipe called for, but also added some chopped celery and carrots to the potatoes before cooking. Also, used jalepeno cheddar cheese for a little more flavor. Will certainly make again."