Potato Beef Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery leaves
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion, celery and celery leaves over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in soup, milk, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Place half of the potatoes in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt if desired. Top with half of the beef mixture.
- Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 400° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 353 calories, 12g fat (0 saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 428mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 meat, 2 starch.
Jan 11, 2014
Saved recipe. Can see using this dish again and again. TY.
Oct 1, 2013
Very good but I would use less potatoes next time. Can't believe celery leaves had to be listed in the ingredients. Of course they should be used. That is were the flavor comes from. Did take about 15 min. more to bake.
Nov 30, 2011
Excellent! My picky 3 year old had three helpings...that's worth 10 stars. I used a lot more Worcestershire sauce, like 1/4 cup, two cans of soup, more potatoes, and added a cup of cheddar cheese in the middle of the layers. Will definitely make this again! My son kept asking, "What's this name?" so he can ask for it later.
Oct 23, 2009
This recipe is very good. It's hard to stop eating it even though you are full. This recipe is on the top of my list.
May 26, 2009
I have made this recipe several times. My husband & I both like it. I just make a vegetable or salad to go with it.
May 26, 2009
This is a simple and very good "meat & potatoes" recipe. It is creamy and comforting. My husband really likes it and can actually make it himself!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.