Potato-Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 7 cups water
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the water, potatoes, tomatoes, soy sauce, garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 3. Return to a boil; stir in beans and barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until beans and barley are tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Yield: 12 servings (4 quarts).
1-1/3 cups: 217 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 568mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Potato-Beef Barley Soup
"This is the first review I have ever written where I could almost say "see other reviews" but I made the soup in almost the same manner they did. I used turkey instead of ground beef, skipped the salt in everything, including adding canned tomatoes with no-salt added. I added extra barley and not too many potatoes. I did also add 1/2 c frozen peas because I'm always sneaking in more veggies and I served each bowl with a dollop of sour cream in the middle. It was great."
"I made this as directed (except my pepper was red because we like them better, and skipped the salt in everything), and it was really good. The only change I will make is to use half the potatoes and twice the barley."