Potato and Cheese Pancakes
"I enjoy these crispy pancakes with steak, asparagus and a Caesar salad," writes Otto Woltersdorf Jr. from his home in Chalfont, Pennsylvania. With flavored cream cheese, Swiss cheese and a hint of cayenne pepper, they're sure to be popular at your house, too.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + freezing Bake: 10 min.
- 4 medium uncooked baking potatoes
- 1/2 cup spreadable chive and onion cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup canola oil
- Peel and grate potatoes; drain on paper towels. Squeeze dry and set aside. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and flour until smooth. Stir in the egg, cream, onion salt and cayenne until blended. Stir in potatoes and cheese.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/8 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls into skillet; press lightly to flatten. Fry for about 5 minutes on each side or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Arrange patties in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze overnight or until thoroughly frozen. Place in a resealable plastic bag. May be frozen for up to 2 months.
- To use frozen potato pancakes: Place frozen pancakes on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 338 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.